Sermon #1111 Miscellaneous Sermons
Title: A GOD WROUGHT SALVATION
Text: Isaiah 26:12
Scripture Reading: Psalm 62:1-12
Subject: Salvation, The Work of God Alone
Date: Sunday Morning – October 17, 1993
I want to talk to you this morning about A God Wrought Salvation. My text is Isaiah 26:12. “Lord thou wilt ordain peace for us: for thou also hast wrought all our works in us.”
What a humbling confession this is! It ascribes everything to God in the matter of salvation, and nothing to man. Self-sufficiency and self-satisfaction are the tendencies of proud human hearts the world over. We all like to think, “I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing.” (Rev. 3:17). But we are not! Since God has wrought all our works in us, we have nothing to boast of (I Cor. 4:7).
This text proclaims two things emphatically:
1. Salvation is something that is wrought in a person. “Thou also hast wrought all our works in us.” Do you see that? Salvation is internal, not external. All human religion is external. God’s salvation is internal. “Ye make clear the outside of the cup and platter, but within are full of extortion and excess.” (Matt. 23:25). All carnal, human religion is on the surface. God looks upon the heart (I Sam. 16:7). God deals with the heart (Heb. 10:16). God hears the heart (Rom. 10:9-10).
2. This salvation that is wrought in the heart is God’s work alone. “Thou also hast wrought all our works in us!” I contend that every true believer gladly makes this acknowledgement of grace. “Thou hast wrought all our works in us.” Every person taught of God is taught what Jonah was taught down in whale-belly seminary – “Salvation is of the Lord!” This is the universal testimony of Holy Scripture.
I Corinthians 15:10
It does not matter how you study it, or from what angle you look at it, salvation in the Bible is described as the work of God alone. Whenever salvation is discussed in Bible terms, it is acknowledged that “Salvation is of the Lord!” It was planned and purposed by God the Father for his elect before the foundation of the world (Eph. 1:3-6). Salvation was earned and purchased for all the chosen by the holy life and vicarious atonement of God the Son (Eph. 1:7-12). And this salvation is revealed to, performed in, and preserved in every chosen, redeemed sinner by God the Holy Spirit (Eph. 1:13-14). In its planning, in its purchase, in its performance, in its preservation, and in its perfection, “Salvation is of the Lord!”
Proposition: This is the doctrine of our text and the message of the entire Bible – “Salvation is of the Lord!” Ours is a God Wrought Salvation! “For thou also hast wrought all our works in us.”
1. Who Are The People In Whom God Works?
2. What Is It That God Works In His People?
3. Why Has The Lord God Wrought All Our Works In Us?
4. Is My Salvation A God Wrought Salvation?
I. Who Are These People In Whom God Works?
Let me answer that question three ways.
A. God works his grace in His Elect, His Chosen, The People Ordained to Eternal Life before The World Began (II Thess. 2:13-14).
Grace always travels a predestined road to a foreordained house, and gives life to a chosen sinner. Grace never goes where election and predestination do not send it.
B. God’s saving grace comes to every sinner for whom There Is A High Priest and A Sacrifice In Heaven.
Grace comes to all those, but only to those for whom The Lord Jesus Christ…
1. Makes Intercession (John 17:9, 20).
2. Obtained Redemption (Gal. 3:13-14; Heb. 9:12).
3. Was Made A Sin Offering (Isa. 53:10-11).
C. Grace Always Comes To The Most Unlikely, Unexpected And Undeserving of Sinners. (I Sam. 16:12; I Cor. 1:26-29).
Those who have no claim whatever on God, who are utterly destitute of merit, who are completely unworthy of his favor and altogether deserve his wrath, miserable failures, corrupt sinners, depraved rebels, vile, wretched, undone condemned, worthless worms – These are the people to whom God is gracious! Where sin abounds, there grace doth much more abound!
II. What Are The Works That God Works In His Elect?
Our text declares, “Thou also hast wrought all our works in us.” Do you see that? Whatever works there are in us that are related in any way to God’s salvation are works that the Lord God has wrought in us.
· In this Book nothing is ascribed to man but sin.
· Everything relating to salvation is wrought of God. Let’s look into the Book of God and see if this is not so. 10 things…
A. Regeneration, the New Birth is wrought in The Chosen by the Sovereign Power and Irresistible Grace of God The Holy Spirit. (John 1:11-13; 3:8; 6:63; James 1:18).
B. Repentance is the gift of God, wrought in his people by grace (Acts 5:31; 11:18; Rom. 2:4; II Tim. 2:25).
Repentance is an abhorrence of self and sin, caused by a saving view of Christ (Zech. 12:10). It is a change, a change of mind, a change of masters, a charge of motives.
Whitefield said, “No man has truly repented until he has repented of his sins – his sin – and his righteousnesses.”
C. Conviction, that conviction which precedes and always causes repentance, is the work of God the Holy Spirit. (John 16:8-14).
· “Of Sin” – My Sin!
· “Of Righteousness” – God’s Requirement, My Lack, and Christ’s Fulfillment!
· “Of Judgment” – God’s complete judgment of sin in Christ – The satisfaction of justice in his death.
NOTE: Because conviction is a never ending, continual increasing thing, repentance is a never ending, continual increasing thing.
D. Faith In Christ is the gift of and operation of God the Holy Spirit (Eph. 2:8; Col. 2:12).
Faith is something we must exercise. And the faith we exercise is our faith. But it is the gift of God! It is something God works in us (Phil. 1:29).
E. Spiritual Understanding is the gift of God the Holy Spirit, granted to every true believer (I John 2:20-27; 5:20).
Spiritual understanding has nothing to do with I.Q, or mental aptitude, or education. All who are taught of God are well taught and have the mind of Christ – (I Cor. 2:9-14).
F. Good Works, which we must carefully maintain, are the result not of creature effort and diligent reformation, but of God’s purpose and grace (Eph. 2:8-10; Tit. 2:11-14).
G. All Works Of Service to Christ and his church are the results of God’s purpose and grace and the gifts of his Spirit (I Cor. 15:10).
Illustration: Paul, Apollos, and Peter
1. Gifts for the ministry come from God.
2. Success in the ministry comes from God.
3. Gifts of service (ministry) come from God.
H. Spiritual Fruit is the produce of God the Holy Spirit – (Gal. 5:22-23).
I. Perseverance in Faith is the result of our being preserved by God’s grace (Mal. 3:6; I Pet. 1:5).
J. Even Prayer is found in the heart only when God puts it there (II Sam. 7:27).
Whatever aspect of salvation you look at, if you consider it as it is revealed in this Book, you must confess, “Salvation is of the Lord!” Completely! In its entirety! (I Cor. 1:30).
1. “Of Him” – The Source of Grace.
2. “Are ye in Christ Jesus.” – The Place of Grace.
3. “Who of God is made unto us…” –The Method of Grace.
· “And Redemption!”
III. Why Has The Lord God Wrought All Our Works In Us?
We should never ask why God does anything, or why he does anything the way he does, unless he has given us the answer. Regarding this question, God has given us three clear answers, as to why he has wrought all our works in us.
A. Had God not wrought all our works in us we never could have been saved (Rom. 8:29).
1. We were dead – We could never have made ourselves righteous.
2. We were lost. We would never have come to Christ.
a. It is true, all men are responsible to believe. But no man can believe God.
b. It is true, the gospel calls and commands all the obedience of faith – But no man can obey the call.
c. Only grace makes sinners willing to trust Christ – (Ps. 110:3; 65:4).
3. We are depraved – We could never make ourselves righteous!
B. The Lord God has wrought all our works in us so that our salvation might be effectually and securely accomplished.
Were anything left up to us, we would perish. But this is God’s work. It is forever – “My salvation shall be forever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished” (Isa. 51:6; Eccles. 3:14).
C. The Lord God wrought all our works in us so that he alone might have all the praise for all our salvation (I Cor. 1:29-32; Eph. 1:3-14).
IV. I have been talking to you about A God Wrought Salvation. Now I have one more question to consider I hope you will consider it with me – Is My Salvation A God Wrought Salvation?
Is my salvation something I have done, something I have been talked into, something produced by the flesh; or is it a God wrought salvation? This much I know – If you have a God wrought salvation, if I have a God wrought salvation…
A. A God wrought salvation Puts A New Nature In A Person – (“Christ in you” II Cor. 5:17; II Pet. 1:4).
Illustration: The Warfare (Rom. 7:14-24).
B. A God wrought salvation produces an increasing abherence of Self (Job 42:6).
Illustration: The Publican (Luke 18).
C. A God wrought salvation Renounces All Creature Confidence and Looks to Christ Alone – (Isa. 45:22; I Cor. 1:30).
· Not My Righteousness – His!
· Not My Suffering – His!
· Not My Experiences – His!
· Not My Works – His!
· Not My Baptism – His!
D. A God wrought salvation Causes a Person to Truly Love The Lord Jesus Christ (I Cor. 16:22).
1. To Love Christ is to Seek Perfect, Perpetual…
· Communion with Him!
· Commitment to Him!
· Conformity to Him!
2. To Love Christ is to Love His People!