Sermon #11 Ruth Series:
Title: One That Has Right To Redeem
Text: Ruth 2:20
Subject: Christ our Kinsman Redeemer
Date: Tuesday Evening - June 29, 1993
If you have a marginal reference column in your Bible you will notice that the words, “one of our next kinsmen” might be better translated, “one that has right to redeem.” That is the title of my message tonight. I want, by the Spirit of God, to talk to you about One That Has Right To Redeem.
It is impossible to understand what is written in Ruth chapters 3 and 4 unless we understand what is written in the law of God concerning redemption and the kinsman-redeemer.
· Leviticus 25:25-28 - The redemption of property.
· Leviticus 25:47-48 - The redemption of persons.
Illustrations: 1. An item pawned. The original owner or
2. A mortgage - “Death pledge.” It is death
to the owner’s possession if he is not able
3. Even after foreclosure has begun, “The equity
of redemption” (Jer. 32:6-12).
NOTE: The right of redemption is always dependent upon...
· And willingness!
NOTE: The word redeem means two things - “To buy again”, or “buy back”, and “to take possession of”, “to evict and take possession of that which has been bought back!
Ephesians 1:7 and 14
Romans 3:24-25 and 8;23
· Redemption is by price - The blood of Christ.
· Redemption is by power - (1) Regeneration and (2) Resurrection. The year of Jubilee!
In the Book of Ruth, Boaz, her kinsman-redeemer, typifies and beautifully portrays the Lord Jesus Christ, our Kinsman-Redeemer.
Tonight, I want to show you seven characteristics of our Kinsman-Redeemer, seven characteristics of the One That Has Right To Redeem.
· Redemption presupposes a dreadful calamity - The Fall.
· Redemption by a kinsman presupposes personal inability (Psa. 49:6-9).
I. Redemption by a kinsman is a matter of divine appointment - THE KINSMAN-REDEEMER IS A DIVINELY APPOINTED REDEEMER. Only one who is appointed by God has the right to redeem. (John 10:16-18; Heb. 10:5-14).
II. The one that has right to redeem must be A NEAR KINSMAN (Heb. 2:10-13).
III. The Kinsman-Redeemer must be himself ENTIRELY FREE OF THE DEBT (Heb. 7:26).
IV. The one who has right to redeem must be ABLE TO REDEEM.
· The debt must be paid! Infinite merit!
V. The one who has right to redeem must be WILLING TO REDEEM. No one could be forced to redeem.
· “I gave my back to the smitters, my cheeks to...”
· The bondslave (Ex. 21:5).
VI. THE REDEMPTION MADE WAS A PARTICULAR AND EFFECTUAL REDEMPTION.
· Made for a specific person!
· Obtained a specific inheritance!
· Obtained all that was lost! (Psa. 69:4).
VII. THE ONE WHO HAS THE RIGHT TO REDEEM MUST RAISE UP A SEED (Isa. 53:10-12; Psa. 22:30-31; Ruth 4:5-6).