Title: My Doctrine
Text: Deuteronomy 32:1-4 Scripture Reading: Deut. 32:1-14, 39-40, 2 Tim 3:1-4
Subject: Gospel Doctrine
Date: Sunday morning - August 14, 1994
Over the years, my detractors have often tried to cast me in an ugly light by saying, AFortner is a doctrinal preacher. What they fail to realize is that to people who read their bibles, that is not a detraction but an attraction. All gospel preachers are doctrinal preachers. ADoctrine is not an ugly word. It simply means Ateaching. The doctrine of Christ is the teaching Christ. The doctrine of the bible is the teaching of the bible. The doctrine of the gospel is the teaching of the gospel. The bible talks a lot about doctrine. All true doctrine is described as:
Pure doctrine (Job 11:4)
Good doctrine (1 Tim 4:6)
Sound doctrine (1 Tim 1:10).
The gospel of Christ, the teaching of the bible is called Athe doctrine of God. (Tit 2:10) Athe doctrine of Christ (Heb 6:1), and Athe doctrine which is according to godliness. (1 Tim 3:6)
It is the business of every gospel preacher to give himself wholly to prayer, the study of the word, and doctrine, the doctrine of Christ. And it is the duty of every gospel preacher to establish his hearers in sound doctrine, so that they be not tossed about with divers and strange doctrines. That preachers who labors in the word and in the doctrine, Paul says, is Aworthy of double honor. (1 Tim 5:17) That means, he is Aworthy of double the pay of any other man. He does not seek it, or even desire it, but he is worthy of it. And he is to be highly esteemed in love for his work=s sake. (1 Thess 5:12-13).
In light of those things, I make no apology for preaching to you now on the subject - AMy Doctrine. Like the apostle Paul, our Lord Jesus himself, and God=s prophet Moses, I avow the doctrine of the gospel, the doctrine of this book, the doctrine of God, to be AMy Doctrine.
My doctrine is public knowledge (2 Tim 3:10)
My doctrine will stand the scrutiny of Holy Scripture (John 7:6-17)
My doctrine is the joyous doctrine of song and praise. (Deut. 32)
I take Moses= words in this song to be my own, for his doctrine is my doctrine and my doctrine is his doctrine.
1. My doctrine drops as the dew and the rain from heaven.
It is of God, in its origin, in its revelation, in its teaching.
It is refreshing and delightful.
It is vital, necessary for life.
2. My doctrine publishes the name of the Lord.
Jehovah-jireh - The Lord will provide. (Gen. 22:14)
Jehovah-nissi - The Lord our banner. (Ex 17:15)
Jehovah-rapha - The Lord that healeth thee. (Ex 15:26)
Jehovah-shalom - The Lord our peace. (Joel 6:22-24)
Jehovah-na-ah - The Lord our shepherd. (Ps. 23:1)
Jehovah-tsidkanu - The Lord our righteousness (Gen 23:6)
Jehovah-shammah - The Lord is there (Ezek 48:35)
Jehovah-Jesus - The Lord our savior (Gen 43:3, Matt 1:21)
3. My doctrine calls for all men everyshere to ascribe greatness to God.
Great in his ransom!
Great in his works!
4. My doctrine declares that the Lord our God is the Rock, not a rock, but the Rock.
The God who is our Rock is the man Christ Jesus. (1 Cor 10:4)
The only foundation rock! Built on him!
The only rock of refuge! Hide in him!
The only rock of hope! Hope in him!
5. My doctrine declares that all the works of the triune God are perfect.
When rightly understood, all his works are one, all that God does is for the saving of his people for the glory of his name; and Ahis work is perfect. (Isa 63:12, Eph 1:3-14)
6. My doctrine declares that all God=s ways are judments. Everything that he does and everything he permits, the whole work of providence, grace and judgment reflects
The wisdom of God
The justice of God
7. My doctrine asserts that the only true and living God, in contrast to all the imaginary gods of men, is a God of Truth.
He cannot lie.
He is without iniquity.
He is just and right in all he does.
My doctrine is not a complicated intricate, mysterious system of theology. It is Athe simplicity of Christ. It is as plain and obvious as the nose on your face, and is easily understood by all who believe. My doctrine can be essentially set forth in five statements. Let me give them to you and we will go home.
1. The Lord, our God is the absolute sovereign of the Universe. To say that God is sovereign is simply to declare that God is God. A god who is not sovereign, a god whose purpose can be overturned, whose will can be resisted, where power can be defeated, whose grace can ge frustrated, is no god at all, but only the idolatrous figment of a man=s depraved imagination. The God of the Bible is totally sovereign, the absolute monarch of the universe. Read your bible and tell me whether or not I speak the truth.
I want everyone who hears my voice to understand exactly what I am saying. God is totally sovereign.
In creation (Prov 16:4)
In providence (Rom 11:36)
In grace (Rom 9:16-18)
2. This book alone and in its entirely is the word of God.
It was written by divine inspiration (2 Tim 3:16; II Pet 2:20)
It is complete, final, and authoritative (Heb 1:1-3, Rev 22:19) Illus: Ruth=s vision
It is our only rule of faith and practice (Isa 8:20)
3. All men and women, since the fall of our father Adam, are born in a state of sin, total depravity, alienation from God and spiritual death. (Rom 3:9-19, 5:12)
Find out what happened in the garden and you will have no trouble understanding both the history of man and the necessity of salvation by grace. Here are five facts revealed in Holy Scripture about all human beings by nature, by birth, and by practice. We are all:
Total depraved (Gen 6:5)
Haters of God (Rom 8:7)
Justly children of wrath (Eph 2:3; Gal 3:10)
Spiritually dead (Eph 2:1-5)
Incapable of doing good, or of even coming to Christ (John 5:40)
A man cannot change his condition. He is not even aware of his condition. He must be raised to life, or he shall never have life. Illus: Lazarus (John 11)
3. Salvation is of the Lord. (Jon 2:9) Salvation is the work of God alone. Man has nothing to contribute to it and nothing to do with it. All we can do is Astand still and see the salvation of the Lord.
God= salvation is an eternal, covenant salvation. (2 Tim 1:9, Eph 1:3)
God= salvation is an eternal, covenant salvation. (Jon 31:3, 2 Thess 2:13-14, Rom 9:11-13)
The salvation of God=s elect was secured by divine predestination. (Eph 1:11, Rom 8:28-30)
The salvation of God=s elect was obtained by a legal purchase and an effectual atonement made specifically for them by the death of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Isaiah 53:8 - Limited Atonement!
Hebrews 9:12 - Effectual Atonement!
II Corinthians 5:21 Substitutionary Atonement!
God=s saving grace is irresistibly and effectually applied to every dhosen, redeemed sinner at the appointed time of love, by God the Holy Spirit.
Every saved sinner, every true believer is infallibly secure and shall persevere in grace because he is kept by the power of God (Mal 3:6, Eccl 3:14, John 10:27-30)
The Lord=s portion is his people. Jacob is the lot of his inheritance. Look what God does for his Jacobs. (Vs 9-10)
He found him in a desert land, in the waste and howling wilderness.
He led him about.
He instructed him.
He kept him, as the apple of his eye.
Every sinner in this world who trusts the Lord Jesus Christ is saved, has passed from death unto life, and must posses all the blessedness and flory of heaven. (John 5:24)
If you now believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, whoever you are, now matter how old, young, or who vile you are, if you now trust Christ you are right now:
Forgiven of all sin. (Rom 8:1)
Completely justified (Acts 13:39)
Free from the Law (Rom 6:14)
Made worthy of heaven (Col 1:12)
Accepted in the beloved (Eph 1:6)
Sealed by the Spirit (Eph 1:14)
Assured of Glory - Today shalt thou be with me in paradise. (John 14:1-3)
Here is a test by which you may determine whether any doctrine, the doctrine of any church, the doctrine of any preacher, is of God. Does it give you rest? (John 6:16)
Lets put some doctrine to the test.....
1. The doctrine of Rome - penance - indulgences - purgatory
2. The doctrine of the Campbellite - Baptismal regeneration
3. The doctrine of the legalist - obedience to the Law
4. The doctrine of the Arminian - freewillism - works
5. The doctrine of grace - my doctrine - trusts Christ - He did it all. Here is my Sabbath!