Preparation For Death
2 Timothy 4:6
Death is the time of
harvesting in the
1. DEATH IS NECESSARY FOR OUR COMPLETE AND ETERNAL HAPPINESS. We must die to be free from the body of sin and sorrow (Rom. ). We must die to go to our Father's house (II Cor.5:1; John 14:1-3). We must die to be with Christ in glory (Phil. -23). We must die to be reunited with our departed friends and loved ones who sleep in Christ (II Sam. ). We must die in order for Christ to see of the travail of his soul and be satisfied (John ).
2. SIN, THE STING OF DEATH, HAS BEEN TAKEN AWAY BY OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST (I Cor. ). Our Lord took our sins away. They are gone forever! God will never lay them to our charge.
3. DEATH WILL BRING US INTO THE FULL BLESSEDNESS OF HEAVEN'S GLORY (I Cor. ; Rev. 14:13; Eccle. 4:1-3). Death is not loss to God's elect, but great gain.
4. DEATH, FOR THE BELIEVER, ONLY COMES ONCE AND IS SOON OVER (Heb.9:27; Rev. 20:6). These bodies must go to the grave. That is the result of sin. But beyond the grave death cannot follow us. That is the gift of grace.
5. WE HAVE THE BLESSED AND SURE PROMISE OF THE RESURRECTION (Job 19:26-27; I Cor.15:42,43,51-58). This vile body must go to the grave to be raised a glorious body. This corruptible body must be sown in the earth to be raised incorruptible. This mortal body, though it dies, shall be raised immortal. This body of flesh must perish, but it shall be raised a spiritual body.
Death is an enemy to nature, contrary to all natural instinct. But it is an enemy that shall be destroyed. And when it is destroyed our redemption, salvation, and victory in Christ will be complete.