The Fruits Of Christ's Death
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit." John 12:24
Our Lord Jesus Christ is that "Grain of Wheat" fallen into the ground. But as such he brings forth much fruit. It is not possible that his death could be vain. Behold the abundance of fruit brought forth by the death of Christ.
1. Through the death of Christ the wrath of God was appeased for us (Rom. -26). It was not possible that God could accept us without the satisfaction of his justice for our sins. Now, our substitute has fully appeased that justice upon the cross. Justice cannot fall upon us, for it has fallen on our surety.
2. The death of Christ silenced the law. (Gal. 3:13). The law of God has no curse, no condemnation, no accusation against the believer. The cursed the law, being executed upon our surety, can never speak against us.
3. If God is appeased and the law is cancelled, the removal of our guilt must necessarily follow (Eph. 1:7). In the court of heaven, we were declared innocent when the Son of God died for us. When the Holy Spirit gives us faith to trust the merits of Christ, he takes away the guilt of our own consciences.
4. Another fruit of our Savior's death was the conquest of Satan (John ). Sons of God, rejoice, the tempter's power is broken! The serpent's head is crushed! The accuser of our brethren is cast out! The strong man is bound, and his house spoiled!
5. Perfect sanctification is also a fruit of Christ's death (Tit. ; Eph. ). Sanctification does not come by legal obedience. It is accomplished by the daily application of the Savior's blood to our hearts. We are sure that it will be one day perfected in us (in heaven), because Christ died to secure it.
6. Heaven is the sure and final home of all those for whom Christ died (Rom. , 6:8, ). Jesus Christ not only redeemed our souls, he redeemed our bodies as well. And he will not lose that which he purchased at so dear a price. He will bring all his ransomed ones home to glory!